Located about 30 minutes northwest of downtown Phoenix, Peoria was established in 1886 as a humble agricultural community. Since incorporating on June 7, 1954, Peoria has blossomed as a rapidly-growing, modern city that offers a high quality of living in the natural beauty of the Sonoran Desert.
Peoria's Quality of Life
Peoria is home to Lake Pleasant Regional Park – a true oasis in the desert. The 23,000 acre park is home to two marinas and is a popular spot for boating, fishing, water skiing, kayaking, camping, and even scuba diving!
Our residents enjoy access to 570 acres of parks including 36 neighborhood parks and two large community parks. There are more than 60 miles of hiking, biking, and horseback riding trails to explore.
When it comes to entertainment, Peoria is hard to beat! We offer Spring Training baseball, two community theatres, an art museum, and a year-round calendar of festivals and special events. Our P83 Entertainment District offers a wide variety of local restaurants, shopping, and entertainment options for the whole family.
- Population: 164,173 (2016 estimate)
- Incorporated: June 7, 1954
- Size: approximately 179 square miles (463 km2)
Awards & Accolades:
- 38th for 2019 Healthiest Cities in the U.S., one of two Arizona cities in the top 40
- 12th city for green space in the U.S. in 2019
- 13th Wealthiest ZIP codes in the Valley in 2019 by Phoenix Business Journal
- 22nd Safest City in the U.S., one of four in Arizona in the top 25, by Phoenix Business Journal in 2018
- 50 Hottest Hoods in the Valley by the Phoenix Business Journal in 2018
- 1 Arizona Forward award won for environmental excellence
- 4th Best Place to Get a Job in 2018 by Wallethub
- 9th Least Stressed City in the country by Wallethub
- No. 1 best city to live in Arizona and the 29th in the country by Money Magazine in 2018
- 10th Best City to Raise a Family by Wallethub
- Best winter destination in the U.S. by Expedia in 2017
- Top 100 Golf Courses in the country by Golf Digest in 2017
- No. 1 city with booming employment growth in 2017 by CNBC
- Vistancia was ranked the No. 1 master-planned community in Arizona 2013-2017
- Top 25 Best Places to Retire in 2017 by Forbes
- 14th Safest City in America in 2017
- Peoria Sports Complex was named the 2017 Phoenix New Times Best of Phoenix winner for Best Place to Watch a Spring Training Game
- No. 2 Best Spring Training Ballpark in Arizona (USA Today 2017)
- Lake Pleasant ranked 6th Most Visited Natural Attraction in Arizona for 2017 (Arizona Dept. of Tourism)